Friday, November 7, 2008

A few questions raised from the SIG

I would like to open up the questions posed by Frankie, Beth, and Moira in their SIG last week:

Why are you committed to racial justice?

What stakes do you have in anti-racism?

Also, in response to the discussion, several questions came up:

Is everyone supposed to feel comfortable (I believe this is in reference to talking about anti-racism in writing centers), and does comfort equally care for all of us?

How does whiteness shape our professional organizations and writing centers?

How can we create mentoring spaces--for both directors and tutors--for anti-racist praxis?

3 comments:

SVD said...

I am committed to racial justice, because as a student sensitive to economic disparity, I empathize with others how it feels to be marginalized by a system. However, I can only imagine what it must be like to face sexual and racial marginalization. From these experiences and reflections, I choose to be committed to racial justice.

I don't think that "feel[ing] comfortable" should be a consideration, if the cost is the silence of others. We live in a world of conformity and conflict; to be active agents involved in shaping our world, there is a need for communication which is not always easy.

Whiteness, from a white perspective, is only obvious once you experience an alternative. How else do we learn? I think travel and communication are key. Often, we are limited by money however talk is always free. I read once that: ignorance is more expensive than an education.

I think the best place to start practicing antiracist praxis is through discussion, reaction, and reflection. From there, get out of the center and see the works of others. Speaking and thinking are useless acts without action.

dissertation writing service said...

I think Racial Justice Sunday is observed by British Christian churches on the second Sunday of September. It began in 1995. On September 11, 2005, special celebrations were held in Cardiff, Glasgow, and London for the tenth anniversary of the holiday.

paulsmith198914@gmail.com said...

I am not sure and don't know how can we create mentoring spaces for both directors and tutors-for anti-racist praxis? Maybe this themed writing paper will be of use! Thanks for sharing!